Monday, May 7, 2012

Mother's Day....

moth·er's dayNoun: A day of the year (In the US, the second Sunday in May) on which mother's are particularly honored.

Every day for the past 10 years I've dreaded the second Sunday in May.  Going out in public and people assuming just because you're female, although there are no children near you, that you are a mom and they should wish you a happy day.  I even stopped going out on this Sunday and started finishing everything the day before... that didn't help.  They started wishing early last year.  Now don't get me wrong- I love my mother, my mother-in-law, our sisters, our numerous family members and friends that are all moms and hope they have a wonderful Mother's Day...but for me; it is a painful reminder that another year has come and my arms are still empty.  Mother's Day should be for honoring all the trial's one has overcome to earn that title, the sacrifice and determination a woman has gone thru for her child.  Yet for an infertilite woman who makes all of her plans, dreams and hopes around a child not yet conceived, and who loves them even though they are not here; more than she ever believed - it is the hardest day of the year.  She appreciates and understands the miracle of life and what a blessing a child is, but that doesn't fill her empty arms and hurting heart.  Each day I have to find a way to cope, to suppress the tears, the anger, the hurt...each day I have to put one foot in front of the other and move on.  I owe that not only my family and myself but also to the child(ren) we will one day have. 
So this year when you're wishing a Happy Mother's Day to someone or accepting the wishes from a loved one and friends, I hope you truly understand what it means.  I hope you appreciate the honor you have been given in being a mom.  I say this because there are many of us out here that would give everything for just one day; just one "I love you mom"; just one Happy Mother's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment